Bon Secours Mercy Health Registered Nurse (RN) Wound Care/Hyperbaric - St. Elizabeth Youngstown - Part Time 16 hr/week in Youngstown, Ohio
Thank you for considering a career at Mercy Health
Summary of Primary Function/General Purpose of Position
The Outpatient Wound Care Registered Nurse (RN) performs and documents complete patient assessments, initiates and maintains current nursing care plans for all assigned patients, and identifies patient learning needs to provide individualized and comprehensive teaching. They administer medications in a safe manner consistent with the State of Practice and Bon Secours Mercy Health policies and procedures and acts as a patient safety advocate by participating in ongoing quality improvement in the Outpatient Wound Care department.
Essential Job Functions
• Adheres to and promotes departmental plans, goals, and objectives in accordance with hospital policies and procedures, regulatory, and Joint Commission for Accreditation of Hospital Operations.
• Serves as a team player to provide appropriate wound service coverage in the center.
• Assists clinical leadership in monitoring clinic flow to improve efficiencies and productivity.
• Collaborates with the clinical leaders and other regional leaders to drive consistency and standardization of best practices.
• Works with hospital personnel to ensure availability of adequate resources, supplies, equipment, and services.
• Develops and maintains effective working relationship with physicians and all wound center staff.
• Works collaboratively with hospital partners, as appropriate, to maintain fiscal objectives and seek opportunities for cost-saving measures.
• Is mindful of revenue cycle components including scheduling, registration, clinical coverage/treatment, documentation, billing, collections, and denials.
• Assists leadership to perform auditing to ensure documentation supports reimbursement.
• BSMH nurses are expected to practice and deliver care in accordance with the core concepts and intention of the BSMH Nursing Professional Practice Model.
This document is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, or working conditions associated with the job. Employees may be required to perform other job-related duties as required by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation.
Current RN License in the state in which they are working or covered by compact (required)
BLS Basic Life Support (preferred upon hire, must obtain from approved source prior to direct patient care)
WCC Wound Care Certification (preferred)
Bachelors of Science Nursing (preferred)
Recent experience in acute care and/or home health care (required)
Experience in Wound Care and Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (preferred)
EPIC Electronic Health Record (EHR) (preferred)
Successful completion of Undersea & Hyperbaric Medical Society (UHMS) approved 40-hour course and completion of written exam (required within 6 months of hire for centers that offer HBOT)
• Assigns patient care according to the nursing skill, knowledge, and scope of practice of staff.
• Orients, facilitates learning experience, and provides education (based upon quality improvement indicators, outcomes, and implementation) to nursing staff and others.
• Possesses clinical knowledge, skills, and competency to provide evidence-based patient care in accordance with the current standards of practice, policy and procedure, and BSMH mission.
• Performs comprehensive assessment of patient's clinical condition and psychosocial needs of the patient and their supportive resources.
• Safely and efficiently develops, implements, and prioritizes plan of care.
• Application of the nursing process in patient care delivery.
• Assesses patient's physical and emotional responses to treatment to evaluate effectiveness of intervention and patient outcomes; revises plan of care accordingly.
• Assists patient and family in coping with patient's illness.
• Collaborates with others in the delivery of coordinated patient care.
• Strong interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills.
• Applies cultural diversity and inclusion principles when caring for patients and their support resources.
• Recognizes own limitations and seeks assistance and acquires information to perform safely.
• Advances personal and professional growth through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-services, and workshops.
• Exhibits professionalism through accountability for own and delegated actions.
• Integrates cost-effective measures into practice and models effective stewardship of available resources.
• Practices self-care and cultivates resilience in conflict and difficult circumstances.
• Protects the safety and privacy of all persons.
• Understanding and utilization of office and clinical technologies.
• Ability to communicate with patients in a manner they can understand considering their personal preferences.
• Compassionate, relationship-based approach to help find meaning in illness, suffering, pain, and existence.
• Remains calm, adaptive, and collective during an emergency.
• Applies knowledge and skills associate with advanced wound care to include, but not limited to, negative pressure therapy, compression therapy, hyperbaric oxygen therapy, the utilization of skin substitutes and total contact casting.
Periods of high stress and fluctuating workloads may occur
May be exposed to physical altercations and verbal abuse
May be required to use physical restraints
May be exposed to adverse weather conditions; cold, hot, dust, wind, etc.
May be exposed to high noise levels and bright lights
May be exposed to limited hazardous substances or body fluids*
May be exposed to human blood and other potentially infectious materials*
May have periods of constant interruptions
General office environment
Required to car travel to off-site locations, occasionally in adverse weather conditions
Long-distance or air travel as needed- not to exceed 10% travel
Prolonged periods of working alone
- Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
Lifting/Carrying (0-50 lbs.): 34-66%
Lifting/Carrying (50-100 lbs.) 34-66%
Push/Pull (0-50 lbs.) 34-66%
Push/Pull (50-100 lbs.) 34-66%
Additional Physical Requirements/Hazards
Manual dexterity (eye/hand coordination)
Perform shift work
Maneuver weight of patients
Reach above shoulder
Repetitive arm/hand movements
Acuity - far
Acuity - near
Exposure to/Use of Latex products
Exposure to toxic/caustic/chemicals/detergents
Exposure to moving mechanical parts
Exposure to dust/fumes
Exposure to potential electrical shock
Exposure to x ray/electromagnetic energy
Exposure to high pitched noises
Gaseous risk exposure
Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on his or her assigned unit.
Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development of the life span and possesses the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interprets the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his or her age, specific needs and to provide the care needed as described in departmental policies and procedures.
Adults (18-64 years)
Geriatrics (65 years and older)
Mercy Health is an equal opportunity employer.
We’ll also reward your hard work with:
Comprehensive, affordable medical, dental and vision plans
Prescription drug coverage
Flexible spending accounts
Life insurance w/AD&D
An employer-matched 403(b) for those who qualify.
Paid time off
And much more
S cheduled Weekly Hours:
Days (United States of America)
Wound Care Clinic - St. Elizabeth
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, or protected veteran status, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. If you’d like to view a copy of the affirmative action plan or policy statement for Mercy Health – Youngstown, Ohio or Bon Secours – Franklin, Virginia; Petersburg, Virginia; and Emporia, Virginia, which are Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, please email email@example.com. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact The Talent Acquisition Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Bon Secours Mercy Health
- Bon Secours Mercy Health Jobs